Tuesday, March 5, 2013

If The Shoe Fits

"You and I know that we live in the greatest country on earth, with the finest people to be found anywhere. Everything we know about our way of life compared to the rest of the world tells us we live on an island of plenty and freedom in an ocean of want and hideous tyranny. But that doesn't mean we're perfect - all of any of us. In fact some of us sometimes show such unpleasant traits that it's a wonder the rest of us tolerate us. I mean tax cheaters, sloppy tourists, non-voters, jury-dodgers, dangerous drivrs, and others we all know who make our glorious country less wonderful than it could be. Perhaps you have felt like telling off such pests in person or in print, but never quite got around to it. I've often choked off a blistering remark to a road hog or constant complainer, but now at last I've put my thoughts about them down on paper in a series of letters. Maybe you'd like to join me mentally in sending these letters to some friends or acquaintances who don't seem to understand or appreciate the America in which they live. "If the shoe fits..."

Good Reading Rack Service, 1955


No comments:

Post a Comment