Friday, March 15, 2013

Needed: Uncommon Men

"Eighty years is a long time for a man to live. Mine has been a life of work in many lands under many kinds of governments, both good and bad. I have watched the two great World Wars with their holocausts of death, destruction and famine, and have taken some part in remedy of their terrible aftermaths. I have particiated in the search for a healing peace. I have witnessed the legacy of war - in doubting minds, brutality, crime and debased morals. Moreover, I have witnessed in 20 nations the workings and philosophy of that anti-Christ, Karl Marx. From all these experiences, there rise constantly in my mind the forces which make for progress and those which may corrode away the safeguards of freedom in America. I want to tell you something about these forces, but I shall endeavor to do so, not in the tones of Jeremiah, the Prophet of Doom, but in the spirit of Saint Paul."

Good Reading Rack Service, 1954


No comments:

Post a Comment